Pages

Sunday, June 9, 2013

The home stretch

We are coming down the home stretch for our move to Sweden. All of the paperwork is completed and approved.This step was by far the most important to have completed. At times it had me questioning if it was simply not going to happen, however I  never gave up hope and frankly the harder it got the more I believed that moving to Sweden was the right thing to do. People always say that the harder things are, the more rewarding they are when you get them. I believe that is because you appreciate those things more that you work hardest for.

We have only a few belongings left to try and sell, and to be honest if we can't sell them it will not be the end of the world. Sure it would be nice have some extra money in the account to live off of but I am no longer going to lose sleep worrying about it. The biggest thing we have happening now is going through years of stuff to determine what goes in a box to be shipped, what goes in a suitcase to be taken as luggage, and what goes to the trash can. So far it seems that the majority of it needs to go in the trash.

While we are on the home stretch to actually get to Sweden, it is becoming abundantly clear to me that once we get there I will begin climbing another mountain that dwarfs the one I just conquered. I am studying my Swedish all the time between Rosetta Stone, multiple apps for my phone and ipad,  trying to read Aftonbladet (a Swedish newspaper) regularly, and a new game my wife and I play where we only text each other in Swedish. I am eagerly looking forward to enrolling in SFI (a language course offered for immigrants) because I feel the sooner I am fluent the sooner I will fully be able to embrace my new home. I think I might be on the same language level as a first grader, which will work out well because I will have my daughter to learn with. Hopefully she will share her school notes with me.



No comments:

Post a Comment