Pages

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Interview Day

Today was interview day at the Swedish Consulate. Another step in the process is completed. I had been nervously awaiting this step. I remember when the Queen and I were married we had a few of these interviews to go through. Each one brought on huge stress, and then turned out to be very uneventful. Today was no different.

I woke this morning not feeling very with it. I did not sleep well last night, the stress of the day keeping me on edge. As I was getting ready I hear "breathe baby, it will be fine". These words are the same that I had said to her countless times, but it was hard to believe. I knew in my head and heart that this interview was going to be like all of the others I had been to, but the nagging feeling would not go away.

The drive to the consulate took about a half hour and was filled with nervous conversation to simply fill the air with words. Inside I was picturing what the consulate would look like, and what was going to happen while there. I was lost in my mind, which is NEVER a good idea. By the time we had parked I was imagining a building similar to a Brownstone in Georgetown with gates, guards, and grand gardens. What I got was a very small very bland office in a complex that apparently doubled as headquarters for a wine tour business. The only Swedish thing about it was a shelf of Dahl Horses, and the business card of my interviewer that was colored blue and yellow.

My interviewer was very friendly, and laid all the cards on the table for me. There are going to be three questions and I need to photocopy a few documents she said. While handing over passports for photocopying I began to panic about these questions a little. What information would be acquired through only three questions. Finally after the photocopies and some background info she asks "are you ready"? Not really I thought, but lets go.

The first question she asked "Did you marry the queen by your own free will?"
Uh? Yes? I replied.
The second question she asked "Was your marriage arranged by anyone"?
Uh? No? I replied.
The final question she asked "Were you married by power of attorney"?
Uh? No? I replied.
My head was spinning so much through the intense questioning that I almost missed it as she said "Thank you for your time, and if anything further is needed I will e-mail you."

That's it. I am done. I totally blew this thing out of proportion. A couple of thank yous and some small talk and the Queen and I were walking out the door.

As we were walking to the car the only thing I could think to say was "See baby, I told you it was nothing to worry about." As she rolled her eyes and gave me her best giggle, I got the sneaking suspicion that she knows I how nervous I truly was.

No comments:

Post a Comment